Every Friday I note some useless accomplishment I made in the previous week. It’s a helpful way for me to maintain a feeling of progress. In aggregate they tend to be pretty entertaining too.
Here’s a list of some of my most useless accomplishments of 2017.
- Explored Meow Wolf.
- Ate hot pot 3 nights in a row.
- Went to Napa on a Tuesday, during a flood warning. Private tours everywhere!
- Started my first D&D campaign.
git push origin master --forcefor a legitimate reason.
- Gave a talk at the same event Buzz Aldrin spoke at.
- Lost 0 fingers while using a table saw with all of the safety features disengaged.
- Set up wireless backhaul in my apartment to get an old chromecast working better. Mysteriously broke the printer’s wifi.
- Got my first roller derby black eye.
- Got listed on Google Research. (Thanks Google+!)
- Presented my first piece of installation art.
- Got talk rejections from two conferences in a row.
- Scored 77 points across 4 roller derby jams.
- Drank 9 kinds of Japanese vending machine coffee.
- Had my astronaut application officially rejected.
- Made a fool of myself at a Japanese esports event.
- After many rounds of firmware hacking, finally bricked my personal Google Glass. Booted a windows laptop off of a microsd card through 4 adapters (MicroSD -> SD -> CompactFlash -> PATA/ZIF40).
- Broke compilation of an Android app by changing white space in a license header comment.
- Did an aerial silks wheel down.
- Picked all of the trainer locks at BSides LV.
- Survivied using an unpatched Windows XP laptop at DEFCON.
- Saw a total solar eclipse.
- Live coded for 90 minutes without leaking an access token.
- Used US dollars in a vending machine in Berlin.
- Went to Poland mostly to collaborate with US based colleagues.
- Hiked 3 times in one week.
- Ran across 3 halloween street parties, all within a mile of each other. On October 8th. Nola really knows how to party.
- Aggressively kicked a distinguished engineer out of a conference room, that they had booked >_<
- Made it to 12,000 reputation on Stack Overflow.
- Got my boss to draw me a dinosaur.
- Something literally caught on fire while I was on livestream.
- Sneezed while at a concert and had the performer said ‘God bless you’ to me… in the middle of their song.
- Caught a Mewtwo in Pokemon Go.
These were all great, but my favorite useless accomplishment of 2017 has to be…
- Spent 10 of my 18 hours between business trips playing D&D.
Thanks for the awesome 2017 everyone! It’s had some rough patches, but here’s to making 2018 even more great and stuff.